Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Day for the History Books

Today, I watched as the first African-American was sworn in as the President of the United States. It really was an incredible experience. The last estimate I heard was that over 2 million people attended the ceremony, and that 3/4 of the country was watching it on a TV somewhere.
No, I did not vote for President Obama; I actually did not vote for anyone, as I was not 18 when November 4th arrived. Since I knew I wouldn't be able to vote, I didn't follow the election closely at all. I didn't watch any debates, and I tuned out people that started talking about the candidates. I don't know if I would have voted for President Obama or not. All I know is that watching the ceremony on TV was… moving to say the least. I was watching CNN and they showed different shots of people all over the country, standing and sitting, crowded into conference rooms and street corners, watching history being made. From Memphis, to Harlem, to San Diego, people all over the country stopped what they were doing to look in awe at how far our country has come over the past 60 years. I was brought nearly to tears when I saw all of the diversity in the faces that CNN showed. First, an older white man, then a young Latino mother, a middle-aged Asian man, a family of middle -eastern descent, an African-American college student: all United States citizens, all equal, all free. Man, to think about the distance we've covered as a people.
Only 54 years ago, Rosa Parks was arrested for refusing to give up her seat on the bus to a white man. And today, the whole world watched as Mr. Bush peacefully gave up his seat at the head of our country to President Obama. Our nation has come a long way; it has taken us many years to get here; and hopefully, by the grace of God, we will continue moving forward.
There was a 2nd time during the ceremony when I was moved close to tears: when they sang the National Anthem. How many times have we heard that song? At every sporting event, graduation ceremony, Independence day, etc. We all know the words, but have we really stopped to think about them?

O! say can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming.
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming.
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

This song speaks of a glimmer of hope that a waving flag gave to people. Even though there were rockets and bombs flying through the air, the flag remained unharmed, still 'gallantly streaming.'
That flag is our country. With rockets and bombs surrounding us, we remain intact. Still strong, still united, still America.

I wish our new President the best of luck as he embarks on a 4 year journey that will no doubt be difficult. I pray that he will seek God's guidance in every decision and will act in the interest of every citizen. Not only the rich, elite, educated, and political citizens, but each and every one of them.

0 comments: