Thursday, January 1, 2009

The new year is here!

Well, it's 2009. I can't believe that. I remember vividly sitting on my chair in the living room last year, watching the ball drop with my family, and staring at my phone as I watched the year change from 2007 to 2008 thinking, "Yes! 2008 is finally here! I graduate this year!" It was a year I had been waiting for for a LONG time. And a TON of things happened that year. Let's break it down: January- Heck- it was 2008! I graduated that year! I think that was enough! February- February 18- A day that will live in my life forever. That weekend, I travelled to Berry College in Rome, GA ( A school I was DEAD SET on going to, despite the $35,000 a year it was going to cost me to go) for the Presidential Scholarship Competition. It was one of the most intense days of my life- because so much hinged on it. I knew in my mind that if I didn't get the scholarship, I wasn't going. Over 250 kids competed for 5 scholarships. March- Went to my first real play. I got to see Wicked for my birthday. It was a few months AFTER my birthday, but it's whatever. I also got to go to an authentic Spanish restaurant and I spoke Spanish outside the classroom for the first time ever. A few weeks after that I found out that I didn't get the Berry Presidential Scholarship. And cried. A lot. April- Went on a cruise to the Bahamas with 9 of my best friends and had the time of my life. It was fabulous and I would go back and do it again in a heartbeat! May- Hmmm- what happened in May??? I GRADUATED HIGH SCHOOL. I FINALLY walked across that stage and got my diploma. June- Gatlinburg with the family. GSP reunion. My last CIY. At least I think it was in June. The summer really all ran together. I got my first 2 steady jobs and learned just how hard it is to be a teacher. (I was a Spanish tutor). July- Got bitten by the demon child I babysat on a daily basis, and started saying goodbye to some really good friends. August- MOVED INTO WESTERN!!! Officially became a college kid. And let me tell you- it's fabulous. September- Helped a friend get over a terrible, tragic loss and realized that my life's 'problems' really are nothing. October- My first college Homecoming/Halloween experiences. I am really glad I skipped going to Cleveland that weekend. Nothing against the family, I love them all too- it was just one of those college opportunities you can't miss. And my Halloween costume was awesome, and no one can deny that. November- Realized I really do like French and wanted to continue it and make it my double major. December- Got my wisdom teeth out (first surgery), turned 18, and realized that some friendships are starting to dissolve and slowly disappear. All in all, 2008 was a good year. I've made a ton of new friends, and many more acquaintances. I can only hope and pray that 2009 is just as good, or even better. Hopefully I won't get too excited about the springs of 2010 and 2011 when I'm studying abroad and I will enjoy what each day in 2009 has to bring me. Happy New Year everyone!

0 comments: