Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Inspiration for the New Title

Yes, this is my second blog today.

I was just cleaning my room, and found a book that I had been doing a Bible study in before the break, but I forgot it and left it here, so I couldn't continue over the six weeks I was home. It's a Beth Moore (love her) study called Believing God. I opened it up and was flipping through, and realized I have not been doing so lately... believing Him, I mean. And I started to think about why I hadn't. I didn't really have to think long.
I have not been in the Word enough. As a matter of fact, I have not been in it at all outside of church. I epically fail at immersing myself in what I know, beyond the shadow of a doubt, is the Living Word of God, and I really don't know why. What I do know, is that not knowing what He reveals to me through His Word makes it completely impossible to believe Him. After all, how do you believe someone you don't know?
I have been unintentionally putting distance between myself and God for quite some time now. My prayer life has been slacking, and like I said, my daily time in study has been non-existent. For years, people have hammered it into me that "You need to be in the Word every day. You must continue seeking after God with all your heart on a daily basis." And now I know why. Because the first leads to the second. I have not been able to seek Him with all my heart because I have not been in the Word. Because I have not been in the Word, my mind has been all over the place, as has my heart. Immersed in the crazy mixed up emotions of this world, I think I fell into a state of anxiety over the break. I don't want to say 'depression' because I honestly don't think I was depressed. I was angry, anxious, self-pitying: all the emotions that Satan can throw at a teenage girl. I was angry at my friends for not giving me the attention that Satan said they owed me, I was anxious over starting back to school- not knowing how I was going to feel based on the fact that the Evil one was telling me I didn't have any friends anymore, and self-pitying because I believed him. I believed Satan continually telling me that I was alone, that I was unwanted, that I was obsolete.
Then, I found the cure for that feeling in the strangest place.

I was watching Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix the night before classes started, and I found something that Luna Lovegood said very inspiring..
Luna was telling Harry that she believed him about Voldemort returning, and Harry said he appreciated that, and that he thought she was about the only one who believed him. Luna proceeded to tell Harry that she didn't think that was true, and that she supposed Voldemort wanted him to feel that way. When Harry confusedly asked her what she meant, she said, "Well, if I were You-Know-Who, I'd want you to feel cut off from everyone else. Because if it's just you alone you're not as much of a threat."
I suddenly realized that Voldemort parallelled Satan in that his whole purpose is to keep us from being a threat to him. And he was making me less of a threat, pulling me away from my savior, by making me feel alone.

(I promise this is getting to the title "Pensamientos")
I started thinking about what I knew, and I found a bookmark from my Bible study that has 5 basic truths on it.
1. God is who He says He is.
2. God can do what He says He can do.
3. I am who God says I am.
4. I can do all things through Christ.
5. God's Word is alive and active in me.

Number 5 hit me specifically when I realized that whether I have been making an effort or not, God's Word has "hidden itself in my heart." It is still doing work in me. And here we get to the title. When I read number 5, all the verses that I had memorized came to the forefront of my mind, proving to me that I am never as far from God as it seems. And my favorite verse, the only one I have so far memorized in Spanish, came to me.

Porque yo sé los pensamientos que tengo acerca de vosotros, dice Jehová, pensamientos de paz, y no de mal, para daros el fin que esperáis.
-Jeremías 29:11

Why the word 'pensamientos' then for the title? Because I found it interesting the way it is used in this verse. In English, the word is "plans." But in Spanish, 'pensamientos' means thoughts. So the verse, literally translated from Spanish to English reads:
"Because I know the thoughts I have around you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, in order to give you the end you hope for."
God not only has plans for each of us, but He is in the active process of thinking about us. Does that make sense? He didn't just sit down one day and draw up some plans for each of our lives, blueprints that he then rolled up and put into storage. He thinks about us every day.
Therefor, if He, the Almight Creator, Author and Perfector of all, can think about everyone on a daily basis, I should also have my "pensamientos" centered around Him.

So, there. Pensamientos.
Muy bien.

0 comments: